Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Quiet (Read 32037 times)
Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Re: Quiet
Reply #15 - 04/24/06 at 13:03:13

84silverado any day after work I can stop by with my advance light so you can put a light on it. Let me know what day works for you.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #16 - 04/24/06 at 13:03:50

ok now you got me scratching my head lol who are you? if your the one with the orange nova then i know who you are and id prolli have to agree that that nova is one of the fastest if not the fastest in town

IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #17 - 04/24/06 at 13:05:37

well i would say tonite but not sure i still got to figure out the head problem and throw the rest of the motor together so ill post up later if i need some help tonite or get your # from timmy or something thanx

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #18 - 04/24/06 at 23:33:53

At least this place hasn't stayed quiet.   Grin

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

slamed_89blazer
AltusRacing Newbies

Chevy Speed

Reply #19 - 04/25/06 at 19:28:26

i build my blazer and i had to save...oh damn nevermind im still building it, oh well i just thought i would say something about that cuz i mean if you dont build it with your own two hands then its not really yours.

slamed_89blazer  
IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #20 - 04/25/06 at 22:46:59

I used to do everything on my car myself. Even my cage. As fast as I want to try to run my car it's just not safe to do it myself. My chassis guy can build a much safer cage than I can. Also, I am still learning transmissions. I do build all my motors and everythign else though.   Grin

There are just some things that other people can do better and safer. I don't think you should have to build everything but the more the better.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

n2o_user
AltusRacing Newbies

Chevy Speed

Reply #21 - 04/26/06 at 06:42:36

John owns the nova not me. What is the thin line of doing the car "yourself"? If a person labors out the majority of the work -  such as the body work, paint, chassis, and buys his motor or has someone else build the motor,  tranny or rearend.  Where do you you draw the line?  Roll Eyes  Do you still need someone to build that carb, set the valves or the timing and the rearend gear lash? At one point in history, it used to be cheaper to do all the work yourself and not farm it out. Kudos to the person that can still can do all the work himself. If everyone's wallet was fat, would they just buy a car how they want it??

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #22 - 04/26/06 at 14:47:31

I think I feel somewhat in the middle on that range. Like you said, so many things can be done cheaper or better by someone else.

When I used to race all the time I couldn't afford to pay anyone to help so it was learn it yourself or don't do it. Those times have so changed. I think the more you do yourself, the more kudos you should get. But if you design and have the car built with help from other people that are experts that is great also. I think the same way in terms of speed. Me ten years ago would go nuts if someone built there car and never raced it. I couldn't understand it.  Grin Now I see some people just want to own a cool car. In my opinion that still puts them ahead of the guys that don't even care about cars.

To each his own. That being said, I can't wait to get my car going again. Now it seams as if it is going to be forever. I don't care to try to be the fastest guy in town but would like to run pretty quick. We could spend our whole lifes trying to one up someone and it just turns out to be a pain in the butt. I just miss the company of other genuine car people. Hanging out on a saturday night or just bs'ing about hot rods all day. I am just glad to see others feel the same way I do. I thought there were just one or two people left messing with this stuff. Sure seems it's pretty active again.

I will always miss the days of 6-10 passes a day out at cowlot getting beaten by Jimmy or Jerry and then waiting for the other guys to get off work so I could go back out and get my confidence back. The days of NEVER turning down a race day or night. All nighters getting ready for a grudge race and then winning. (By only two car lengths, so everyone would race each other since I only put two on them.  Wink ) And them trying to figure out how one could beat the other one by 6 after I only beat them both by 2.

To the people that still street race... My hats off to you, I miss that sooooo much.  (Can you tell I took Monty's car out to the country last night and layed down a few passes?)

Thank you guys for staying so active, let me know anything I can change on the site that might bring others on board.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Gitdowns79

Chevy Speed

Reply #23 - 04/27/06 at 23:29:25

The S#!t talked around here is so mild compared to what I like to talk, street racing here is too much of a gentleman sport around here. You have to have thick skin if you want to street race, most people cant handle it. The BS is what street racing is all about to me. If you have a car out, you better be ready for the chit to start, no excuses, no whinning, there is a fine for whinning.  Talk all you want, dont make me go get grandmas station wagon,,,
« Last Edit: 04/28/06 at 09:29:04 by Gitdowns79 »  

No Guts,,,,,,,,,,No Nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No Glory!!!!!!!

IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #24 - 04/28/06 at 03:18:50

ok i started the truck last nite it runs awesome other than the valve cover leaking a lil bit and i need to get it timed correctly let me know when a good time is for you chris maybe sunday?? it's our other shop to do the body work and i can start it up then and get it timed if you could help thanx.

IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #25 - 04/28/06 at 03:19:43

.... and i forgot how to post pics and videos or i would put them up...

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #26 - 04/28/06 at 22:19:14

Sunday is my birthday, but I will try to swing by. If not I can help monday night.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #27 - 04/28/06 at 22:25:23

True, crap talking is a big part of street racing these days. I better just keep my mouth shut since it will still be a while till mine is ready to run again.   Grin

Maybe I should build a second car to run on the street. (This one will be street driven every once in a while, but not raced on the street)

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #28 - 04/29/06 at 02:52:27

well just whenever is best for you i work 10-7 on monday so after that would be cool, and happy early b-day btw

IP Logged

Gitdowns79

Chevy Speed

Reply #29 - 04/30/06 at 16:18:02

I know what you mean about not saying anything Chris. All I can talk about is braket racing for now. I would love to have a street car again. I havnt raced anything serious on the street since my first sreet shootout at Noble about 1o years ago. I had my white Malibu back then, stock suspension, mufflers, etc. I drove it on a regular basis on the street and decided to got to Noble and run a shootout and to see how fast it really was. I had never had it to the track at that time, and was suprised when I ran 9:90's that first race and won the event. I was the first 10.5 tired car to run in the nines at Noble for one of their shoot outs. I eventully got it to 9:47 @ 146 before back halfing it. The whole car was bult by me except for the trans. in my garage including back halfing job on it. I am planning on getting another car going one of these days, and I wont mind the BS,,,,

No Guts,,,,,,,,,,No Nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No Glory!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print