Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
A poll (Read 69936 times)
robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
A poll
07/09/06 at 21:46:37

OKay that didnt stir up any thing lets try this lets take a poll of sorts. I've been sort of disputing with another chevy speed member which cars of Altus are of legendary status, in other words what cars would the younger hotrodder I.E. high school students have been most likely to here tales of. Being the start off this topic I'll postmine in a week or so after others have posted there answer. To the other member in the dispute we'll let the members of chevy speed resolve this. So help us settle this, all you have to do is post a car/truck/motorcycle or several that you think would be "An Altus legend"

ssmaliburob1980 or robztrux  
IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Re: A poll
Reply #1 - 07/09/06 at 22:02:01

There are a lot of them to me. Just a couple to get things started...

Greg walkers truck.... That is what got me into drag racing.

Butch's Blue Big Block Nova.... The reason I now run big blocks and I remember after he out ran Jerry he put it on Channel 12 for sale as Altus' fastest street car.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

olcoe

Chevy Speed

Reply #2 - 07/10/06 at 22:36:56

I CAN REMEMBER A COUPLE MYSELF, ANYONE REMEMBER A PRIMER GRAY 67 PICKUP,OR HOW ABOUT A GRAY 55 CHEVY.

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #3 - 07/11/06 at 13:18:14

Those are on my list for sure!

There are so many to mention them all.
Let's turn this thread into a "Cars we remember the most" thread.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #4 - 07/11/06 at 20:43:37

I dont know if it would be fair to nominate you on rides but I would agree with the 55 its been around for years

IP Logged

Bowties4me

Chevy Speed

Altus
Reply #5 - 07/11/06 at 23:13:54

Hey guys  I can remember alot of fast cars! Most of them you guys remember too. Luke Underwood's pickups sure were fast. Jimmy Wright's  purple Nova was real quick in its day. The red Valiant that Jim Ballentine built and Stan Cope ended up with was a real cool car. Walker's p/u was originally Scott Delzer's and won its share of races- beat the hell out of me once! The two-tone blue Chevy truck that Tim Collier built was quick also. I can think about several more that you guys are too young to know and many more that I am leaving out!  Anybody else?  More later....

IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #6 - 07/12/06 at 23:53:37

well being only a couple years out of high school myself the cars that stood out as legends to me were john santiago's orange camaro, jack smileys blue nova and red chevelle, raddlebush's yellow nova, floyd young's white ranchero, and ive always heard stories of timmy smiths camaro.  im sure there are others that are quicker, these are just the ones i remember over the past couple of years.

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #7 - 07/13/06 at 08:07:39

The white camaro will always be a legend. That thing is FAST and no one has more fun at the track than the guys from firestone!   Grin

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Bowties4me

Chevy Speed

Altus
Reply #8 - 07/13/06 at 23:29:56

Timmy's car certainly was fast, but I thought we were talking about cars that saw the street and  the country roads! Floyd's car is fast and running well but I don't think he has any interest in streeting the Ranchero. I'm not raggin' on anybody's opinion but I thought Rob was talking about being legendary on the street. I can remember Chris driving his Nova from Snyder to United to work and back daily. Now that is a fast STREET car! How many of these other guys would do that?

IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #9 - 07/14/06 at 00:27:51

well i guess all the guys i named off just didnt have to drive their hot rods everyday cuz they had a choice but if that was their only vehicle i bet they would drive it, just some opinions coming from me plus their really hasnt been much street racing around here the past couple of years with any cars that are extremely fast or that would be considered legends. out of all the people ive named jack smileys red chevelle is the only car ive seen come out and actually go drag someone on the street. i think most of the cars you would consider legends only run their cars at the track nowadays being it is the safest way to have fun with their cars.

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #10 - 07/14/06 at 14:45:08

Street racing was such a blast back in the 80's and 90's very quick cars running side by side at cowlot!

It doesn't get better than that. Everything from two guys and two cars to over 150 people out there to watch. I think one time we had the entire High School out there when I raced a couple guys from the base. Wasn't very safe but it was fun!

I think the last pass I made at cowlot my car was running 7.50's in the 8th and that was pushing it. My last race was actually against jerry Laritson and we both got tickets.   Grin but they did knock it down from 120 in a 55 to 83 in a 55. Thanks!!! To top it off I had lost by a fender. But of course in my defense I was on my way to altus driving it from lawton. Those were the days!

Brian, Greg, David Jones,Mike Elkins, Don Cope and Me all skipping out at lunch to go race. I think I made at least 6 passes a day out there.  Grin Won some, lost some.

IMO once the cars hit sub 7.20's it was too fast for cowlot. Of course the highway is plenty safe but I wouldn't make a pass out there for fear of hurting someone else.

I have many memories and even more stories as everyone does about street racing in altus. Just ask me I could talk about it for hours. Or ask Timmy, he has a ton also!

I better do some work,

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #11 - 07/14/06 at 21:12:35

Okay let me give you guys and example. When Brain Chris and I where in high school We had never seen the truck but we all had heard stories of it(weather or not you've seen it the vehicle is not important) but we had all heard stories of this really wicked truck that did a wheelstand in the Altus High School parking lot. This was Luke Underwood truck that was known as "The Junkyard Dog".As best I remember  the owner Luke died beforegraduting high school his parents put the truck away and for many years it was never moved until the family had I believe medical problems and were forced to sell it. I was then sold to Jerry with the understanding that it would be disassembled and would never be one piece again. Which I believe the people where cheated as he pulled the motor and sold them seperately and if I'm not misstaken the motor even ended up back in the truck. Last I heard Foley's owned it and it was renamed "The Possum" In my eyes that is the all time legendary altus vehicle. Now really what I'm looking for is really from the younger crowd before this site what cars were talked about. The story doesnt have to be as big as "The Junkyard Dog" just that they are still talked about. Was it Eddies 55 that was basicly a junkyard dog its self that was very fast and extremely tough(after all most of it survived Brianhehe no offence Brian)was it Scott/Greg's truck for being on of the fastest truck in Altus and was well known by the law was it Chris's nova how many motors where put into it and how many days did he not drive to school and was only beat a hand full of times at cowlot or what Elkins Blown Chevelle its the only blown car that I ever heard of being at the High school or was it none of these cars?

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #12 - 07/24/06 at 19:14:25

I guess to us legends are cars that were around years and years ago. I have been out of it too long to remember anyone newer. Floyds car is one nice looking car and is super fast. But I have never seen it on the street. (Probably since I have been gone from racing for so long) As far as sammy goes, he is the best drag race driver I have ever known and IMO the best in the sate. If I wanted to race every weekend I would be happy being not even a quater as good as he is. Again, his car is perfect and is fast as hell. But he doesn't drive it on the street and he wouldn't want to anyway. Same with floyd. If my car turned out half as nice as yours I would be happy. I don't think anyone here wanted to hurt anyones feelings but there are just certain cars people each think of as legends. Nothing against anyone else.

Butch and his friends have some KILLER cars but to me the baby blue nova he had always rules. Had I been driving or racing mine all these years I might have different opinions. That's why we are happy you put in your 2 cents. We need more opinions and no ones is wrong.

Everyone here probably has different opinions about there cars. Robs and mine will be close since we grew up together. The younger guys will think of other cars. The real drag racers will have there own.

Post up everyone! Let's get more opinions.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #13 - 07/24/06 at 19:19:51

Another legend IMO was Steve's red and black 442 from years and years ago. He just joind the site yesterday and still builds some badass cars.

I even got to see Jimmy Hall last week. When we first met I thought he was one of those guys that just talked a big talk. He drove a pretty sweet olds but when it came time to race me he went home and changed cars  Grin

That was my first defeat to a non chevy car!

Boy I learned my lesson quickly.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #14 - 07/24/06 at 19:29:52

One of these days I will have my car back so I can put the thing back together and join you guys!   Grin

I am happier to race mine a few times a year and take it to sonic and work a few times a year. Everyone has there own idea of what is fun is for them.

I did get out of cars all together for 8 years or so. (So you guys can dog me for that), but I do still run the same car I got 20 years ago.  Grin
I had things I had to take care of first. Now I can jump back in full blast!

I can honestly say ANYONE that races their car or even just loves it and drives it up town deserves respect. If nothing else, just for the hard hours of work they put in it.
There is always someone faster, always someone more consistent, always someone with a better looking car. But we can all keep trying!

I feel I don't have much room to talk till I have a car to talk about.

I AM SOOO READY!!!

Chris

END RANT

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print