Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
off-road racing.... (Read 9491 times)
bajaherbie

dune rider

real close to the cemetery...
off-road racing....
01/09/11 at 08:58:32

well for the last two years i've been doing a bit of off-road racing in oklahoma and texas. a group of guys from texas formed a series called Extreme Desert Racing and made a few deals to race on private land in oklahoma and texas. the first race i participated in was near erick, oklahoma, i navigated for a buddy from D/FW in his 5/1600 bug.
the track was a 4...6 mile loop, about 20 trucks and buggies participated, including two trophy trucks, one from ponca city and the other from odessa texas.
we broke a torsion bar on the 3rd lap and dnf'ed. i also rode a lap in a buggy  (the one behind the bug in the first picture).

next was a race in sweetwater, texas at the texana ranch, 180 miles on another loop track. again i rode in the 5/1600 bug. we broke another torsion bar in practice but john drove back to dallas to pick up some stock bars, i stayed at the track and stripped the car down, john returned at about 1 in the morning and we had the car back together at 3 am. the race started at 9 a.m. with an 8 hr. time limit. on the second lap the steering R&P broke loose and we limped back to the pits(20+ miles) to weld it up again. after that we had a bit of motor trouble, cleaned the weber jets out and were back in the dirt. unfornately we ran out of time and was about 15 minutes late to the checkered flag.

during the winter i updated my car with a fuel cell, window nets and new belts. the first race was back at sweetwater. i broke at MM 82 when i zigged when i should have zagged,hit a rock and broke the RF tierod. Angry here it is loaded up.....
but at least i had my picture taken with the Hooters girls
[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/bajaherbie/100_3304.jpg[/IMG

i'm not a gynecologist but i'll take a look.....

IP Logged

bajaherbie

dune rider

Re: off-road racing....
Reply #1 - 01/09/11 at 09:19:32

after towing home and looking closely at my car and the damage it was time to cut everything off from the a-pillar forward, convert the front to coilovers and add a Saco rack and pinion. money has been sorta tight with a daughter at OU so my car has been in my shop while i saved for parts including a new JD2 model 3 bender...

the good news is i got a ride in a class 8 hummer from houston for the rest of the season! the next race was in odessa, a long track with rocks, silt, dirt, silt and more silt. this race was 250 miles and had over 30 entries including a bad-ass trophy truck from phoenix. here is the houston truck i rode in....
there were 5 trucks in our class, the race went trouble free, we won our class and finished 6th overall!
the guy that built it used to work at Geiser Brothers in phoenix(the premeir TT builder) and now owns www.perlious customs.com and builds off road cars and drag/street cars for a living. check out his website, his work is phenomal to say the least....

IP Logged

bajaherbie

dune rider

Reply #2 - 01/09/11 at 09:33:36

the date om my camera wasn't set, the race was in june, not jan 1,'10.....

the third race was back to sweetwater for a NIGHT race, we started at 6 pm and the race was over at 2 am. once again we won the class and finished 6th overall. here are a few pics before the race started...

the 4 trophy trucks has flats and engine trouble so a class 12 buggy from enid was the first to finish!

unfortunately the last race of the season my friend from houston was not able to attend, the other trucks in the class broke and the Perlious Customs Hummer won the class championship by 5 points!

i plan on doing the two sweetwater races in my car for 2011 and attending the odessa races also...

IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #3 - 01/09/11 at 09:48:31

That looks like fun! I never knew that went on in oklahoma.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

bajaherbie

dune rider

Reply #4 - 01/09/11 at 09:48:43

here is a link to perilous customs website, lots of cool pics and video! my picture is on the homepage too!
[url]    http://www.perilouscustoms.com/  [/url]

IP Logged

Bowties4me

Chevy Speed

Altus
Reply #5 - 01/09/11 at 10:52:51

That is awesome Scott! I didn't know you were doing it....keep us posted.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print