Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nitrous dangers (Read 4657 times)
Gitdowns79

Chevy Speed

Nitrous dangers
04/26/10 at 07:57:49

At the ADRL race in Georgia this last week end, one of the Pro Mod teams had one of the owners of the car killed while checking the preasure of a nitrous bottle. They said the bottle was heated in an approved bottle warmer, not sure what caused it to as they said "had rapid depreasuration" the bottle launched over 200 yards from their pits. There are some stories about it on several racing websites. Be careful with your bottles if you run nitrous.

No Guts,,,,,,,,,,No Nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No Glory!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Re: Nitrous dangers
Reply #1 - 04/26/10 at 08:14:53

I have been following that and it's pretty scary. They haven't let much information out about it but they were saying it was a carbon Fiber bottle. If that's the case I wouldn't have trusted it anyway, those things scare me. Very sad.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

M@

AltusRacing

A-Town
Reply #2 - 04/26/10 at 17:03:21

wilmes and crew were there this weekend

M@
ml_rone  
IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #3 - 04/27/10 at 21:07:19

I guess the latest is he was carrying two bottles to the car and dropped one and it opened, he tried to grab it and dropped the other and it broke the valve off. That's the latest I have heard, still not 100% sure. Either way they said the bottle was still in one piece.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Gitdowns79

Chevy Speed

Reply #4 - 04/29/10 at 20:56:34

Here is what was said about the accident by the coroners office.
At approximately 9 a.m. Saturday, Mike Walker was in the Pro Nitrous pit area. Canisters of nitrous oxide warmed in a warming container, the coroner said.
The warming container apparently worked fine, but something was wrong with the canister, Lipsey said.
At 9:04 a.m., the nozzle and gauges exploded from the top of the canister, the coroner said. The explosion made a terrific boom. The canister started up in the air, struck the side of a trailer before continuing up into the air. One piece struck Walker in the chest, leaving a gash. Walker was transported by ambulance to Memorial Hospital of Adel, where he was declared dead at 9:42 a.m. Saturday. Though it had rained Saturday morning, Lipsey said the motorsports park was still crowded but no one else was injured by the exploding debris.

No Guts,,,,,,,,,,No Nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No Glory!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print