Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rock n rumble (Read 15270 times)
mturner
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

rock n rumble
05/05/08 at 21:11:44

I need some feedback on this years cruise...good or bad.  I have heard both good and bad, but i am trying to gather all that i can to see what can be done to make this a better event for next year.  Do you have complaints????then please tell me about them so that I may direct them to the right place.  As many of you know I am a hot rodder at heart and have always had some type of toy but, I also have a family to feed and many time have to keep my feelings and my comments to my self.  I have been a part of this event for eight years now, and have been the event manager for the past two.  I truely need to know where you stand on this issue.  I dont think any of us would condone drag racing on main st. or extreme reckless conduct by the participants.  So with that said..........tell me what you think and dont hold back.
Thanks

IP Logged

Bowties4me

Chevy Speed

Altus
Re: rock n rumble
Reply #1 - 05/05/08 at 21:36:51

I had a blast as usual! That being said I can see both sides of the issue that I've been hearing. ALOT of people come to see the burnouts on Main street! I like to participate also. I do think it's ridiculous when some people do one every hundred feet or so though. On the other side I can see the HUGE potential for a disaster! I seemed to notice less of the older classics this year. Maybe due to all the burnouts in years past. I wouldn't want the rock chips on my classic that had a high dollar show car paint job. My Nova doesn't fit that description so I'm not as worried about that. I heard several complaints about having to stop at the stoplights also. Surely there is a happy medium that the powers that be can come to. I've always said that it is good to see the whole town come out and "let it all hang out" for one night! I didn't get that feeling last Sat. night though.

Mike has anyone been seriously injured in the past?

Thanks for posting this topic!

Monte

IP Logged

mturner
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Reply #2 - 05/05/08 at 23:24:18

Last year we had a young girl that was hit by the remains of a tire that blew during one of the burnouts.  Her injuries were not serious but, it scared the crap out of us to say the least.  We have also had a lady hit by a wheel/tire that came off a car......and I've heard rumors of others being hit by tire remains in burnouts.  We have had injury accidents right after the cruise in years past, but I attribute this to it becoming an all our war zone when the event got over.  This year I only know of one vehicle accident at A and Main St., but I was told it was a non-injury accident.

As for the people having to stop at the stop lights, being that it is a state highway, we run in to issues totally shutting it down.  So we have to allow for the cross of traffic at key intersections.  We do bend the rules by allowing the participants to run through the lights during the first lap (only at the direction of a police officer), and this is done to keep the participants from overheating, loading up, getting all the cars out quickly....ect.  One thing that I noticed this year is that our car show numbers were up, and we got people in from Tulsa, Dallas and Amarillo, which means were getting the word out!!!!  I also noticed that north on main, past falcon, there were more tailgate parties than in the past.  I do not know if this is because of the lack of bleachers that would be put up at smileys, custom graphics......or another reason........keep the posts going I really appreciate the feedback.

IP Logged

theotherdowns
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Reply #3 - 05/05/08 at 23:26:43

I was glad to have a car for the cruise this year. Monte does some one need to git hurt before changes need to be made? The burnouts are one of the things people come out for each year but I thank it keeps some of the nicer cars and trucks from coming.To make it better someone needs to go to some of the bigger cruises and see what they do and and dont do.I herd more complants about the police racing up and down main trying to stop people from doing burnouts and also if the side roads are blocked why do you half to stop at the red lights? I do know Vernon has stoped the burnouts and there car count has gone up every year scence.

Terry

Downs Electric LLC  580-471-5858

IP Logged

Bowties4me

Chevy Speed

Altus
Reply #4 - 05/06/08 at 00:05:07

I'm not complaining Terry. I'm not advocating bringing back the burnouts. I was just relaying what I've heard. I don't want anybody hurt just so someone can do a burnout! I don't believe in street racing at all. I would rather see the side streets completely blocked than allow the burnouts. I'm all for doing what it takes to help this event grow.

Monte

IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #5 - 05/06/08 at 08:23:35

I had a great time this year just as I have had in the past. Sure, the burnouts were great but I was always watching for the people around me to get stupid and think they know how to do one or even someone that does know how have a mechanical failure! This year I felt much more secure out there. I wasn't worried the whole time someone would end up hitting me. I think it went off well and we are lucky to have such an event here in Altus!

Thanks for all the hard work!

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

M@

AltusRacing

A-Town
Reply #6 - 05/06/08 at 09:33:29

Why couldnt they have a designated burn out area, so the people who want to see/do them can go to that area during the cruise? i also feel the excitement was on the low side this year. what i would like to see is what mangum did a couple years ago is some sort of drag races on a air strip or something.. just my 2 tho.

M@
ml_rone  
IP Logged

Gitdowns79

Chevy Speed

Reply #7 - 05/06/08 at 09:49:13

I didnt make it this year. I have heard the complaints about not being able to do burnouts. I dont care for all the noise and smoke from all the burnouts. I would rather come see the cars and the people enjoying the cars, not abunch of idiots doing burnouts next to kids and priceless cars. worrying about getting run over by them or getting hit by parts that they lose off their vehicles. The events should be more about people enjoying their cars. Do the burnouts at the burnout contest. One thing I would like to see more of is women flashing their ta tas.

No Guts,,,,,,,,,,No Nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No Glory!!!!!!!

IP Logged

M@

AltusRacing

A-Town
Reply #8 - 05/06/08 at 09:54:30

I AGREE!!!! HAHA

M@
ml_rone  
IP Logged

fulltop

The Glass man

out in the shop
Reply #9 - 05/06/08 at 12:09:16

the burn outs didn't affect me at all. I was fine without them. Yes it is pretty cool to see alot of the cars do them but in return I get tired of the kid doing a peg leg burn out every 50 feet in a stock vehicle. I guess the more I think about it I like it better with out the burn outs. Several times I have been behind someone doing one and get covered with smoke or rubber or just road grime. If you wanna see a burn out go to the burn out contest. I know for a fact that alot of the older guys with nice street rods or muscle cars don't cruise them becase of all the idiots doing burn out. It was also nice to cruise without  someone yelling at me every 50 feet to do a burn out.

with all that said I do think the people putting this on deserve a huge pat on the back. I know from my involvement in other car shows and 4x4 events and my wife and I involvement with the pagents that this kinda stuff takes alot of work and it is all volunteer work. I alos think that it is great that this is all pretty much free. Free car show, free parking, you can bring your own food and coolers and grills. So if your just out to watch you can spend your whole day down town and not spend a dime. you can't got to OKC or Dallas or Amarillo and do that. They want to charge you $5.00 to park a mile away, then they charge to go in the show, if they let you bring a cooler they will most likely charge you for that too.

I think it is a good event and we will continue to support it with or with out burn outs. It was a little confusing knowing which lights to stop at, I would have like to have been better informed of the before hand. To the people that want to complain about it, volunteer to be on a comitee to help or something.

IP Logged

M@

AltusRacing

A-Town
Reply #10 - 05/06/08 at 13:05:34

I dont think anybody here is complaining, i think they are just voicing what they liked or didnt like. i think its all matter of opinion. the altus r&r is a great event and everyone wants to see it continue to grow.

M@
ml_rone  
IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #11 - 05/06/08 at 13:55:12

I thought is was great until about 8ish when it became way to over crowded maybe a limit on the 2nd part of the criuse.

ssmaliburob1980 or robztrux  
IP Logged

Cindy Young
Global Moderator

AltusRacing

Reply #12 - 05/06/08 at 21:57:48

MIKE I MUST SAY I THOUGHT THE CRUISE WAS A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. AFTER WATCHING THE CARS GO DOWN THE STREET A COUPLE OF TIMES  I MUST SAY IT WAS QUITE BORING. I THINK THERE WHERE MORE POLICE CARS IN THE CRUISE THAN CLASSICS. I HAVE HEARD ALOT OF PEOPLE SAY HOW BORING IT WAS AND THEY WILL NOT BE BACK NEXT YEAR. I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE LIKE TO SEE SMOKE AND SMELL RUBBER AND THEY SURE DIDN'T GET THAT THIS YEAR. I KNOW SOME PEOPLE THINK THAT THE BURN OUTS ARE DANGEROUS BUT THEY COULDN'T BE ANY DANGEROUS THAN THE SHERRIF'S TRUCK GOING DOWN MAIN STREET 80 MILES PER HOUR. PEOPLE HAVE SEEN BURNOUTS SINCE THE CRUISE STARTED AND PEOPLE ARE USE TO THAT AND ITS HARD FOR THEM JUST TO SIT THERE AND WATCH CARS GO UP AND DOWN THE STREET. THATS WHAT ALOT OF PEOPLE GO FOR IS TO SEE THE BURNOUTS. I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED GOING TO THE CRUISE EVERY YEAR BUT THIS YEAR WAS QUITE DIFFERENT. HOPE I DON'T AFFEND ANYONE BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION.

CINDY

IP Logged

pandajoe
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Reply #13 - 05/07/08 at 12:28:48

This was the first one I actually participated in and also hung out on the sidewalk some watching cars. It was fun but after about 30 mins watching didn't really pay too much attention to the cruising and more on conversation, that can be a flaw of mine, hehe. As a first time participant I really don't get the controlled intersection deal letting you leave but can't enter back into the cruise except the on the ends. Thats why I parked. I thought a short, to the point set of rules could have been handed out at the registration table explaining things would be nice. Some burnouts would have been cool, but understand the dilema with this issue, some folks just get carried away. As with most things a few ruin it for the majority. All in all outstanding effort on everyones part and hope this keeps growing. It would be nice to get a swap meet going with this also.   
cya next year, Panda

IP Logged

mturner
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Reply #14 - 05/07/08 at 22:08:20

Hey thanks for the replies....some of you have came and apologized for your comments hoping that you havent upset me.......this is not the case....a thank you for your responses.  I feel lucky to be involved in helping set this event up, and hope to do the same for years to come.  It is your feedback that can help make this event grow.  Did I read some where where someone wanted to volunteer??????hehe.
Turner

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print