Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tire choice Poll (Read 27591 times)
Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Tire choice Poll
08/08/06 at 20:27:23

What brand of tire would you run and why?

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

n2o_user
AltusRacing Newbies

Chevy Speed

Re: Tire choice Poll
Reply #1 - 08/08/06 at 21:15:55

This is one topic, people will argue to death. I had my best 60 ft with goodyears but they don't last as long as some others. I would go with M/T for slicks and M/T radials for the street. I put a set of phoenix on the last car and they lost 60 ft but Brian has had good luck with them. Different cars, different suspensions, different compounds.

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #2 - 08/08/06 at 21:30:00

I used to run only goodyears, but that was a long time ago. From all my research this time I think I am going to go with hoosier.

I picked up a set of Goodyears and a set of Hoosiers on racingjunk. I decided to have the hoosiers mounted for the build since they are actually wider than the same size goodyear. So I should be able to fit either.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #3 - 08/08/06 at 22:43:06

I choose hoosier because of the sect width I have major tire clearance issues Sad

ssmaliburob1980 or robztrux  
IP Logged

n2o_user
AltusRacing Newbies

Chevy Speed

Reply #4 - 08/09/06 at 06:32:54

Brian actually uses goodyears. my mistake.

IP Logged

A442DUDE

Chevy Speed

Reply #5 - 08/09/06 at 08:43:27

CHRIS IF YOU GO WITH THE HOOSIERS MAKE SURE YOU BRING SOME DIRT TO THROW DOWN ON THE TRACK SO THEY WILL HOOK Grin HOOSIER=GOOD DIRT TRACK TIRE....  M/T=BEST SLICK FOR THE MONEY !!!!
ALHTOUGH YOU SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM THE ET STREET RADIALS IF YOU ARE PUTTING ANY POWER DOWN ON THE TRACK THEY WILL NOT HOOK UP.. WHEN YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH LOOK AT THE NSCA FASTEST STREET CAR GUY'S AND MAKE A NOTE OF WHAT THEY ARE RUNNING WHEN YOU HAVE 10.5 TIRES RUNNING IN THE 7'S YOU KNOW THE TIRES WORK

IP Logged

A442DUDE

Chevy Speed

Reply #6 - 08/09/06 at 08:44:39

robztrux wrote on 08/08/06 at 22:43:06:
I choose hoosier because of the sect width I have major tire clearance issues Sad

TIME FOR A FRAME NOTCH Wink

IP Logged

Jared Black
God Member

Chevy Speed

Arcadia, OK
Reply #7 - 08/09/06 at 08:59:00

I was thinking about going with Hoosier Quick time pro DOT on project Super Nova.
My car will be mostly street (due to the fact that I don't have a trailer or a place to keep one).
I do want to take it to Thunder Valley at least a couple times to see what it'll run.
What do you guys think?

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #8 - 08/09/06 at 09:06:30

In my opinion that is the exact tire I would run on yours. Like they said above everyone has different opinions on what tire to run depending on what car and everything.

Might not be a bad idea to look at some of the drag radials out there also. If drivability and cornering is a concern. For sraight line speed the quick times are great though.

Again in my opinon only. Others, feel free to jump in!

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #9 - 08/09/06 at 09:59:26

I don't have as much experience with street radials as N2O but I did read reviews of the tire he suggested and E.T. Drag radial and it looks like a great tire.

http://www.fscmag.com/techstory/issue1004/techstory1004.html

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

A442DUDE

Chevy Speed

Reply #10 - 08/09/06 at 11:30:10

n2o_user wrote on 08/09/06 at 09:24:38:
Speaking strictly of small street tires. believe me, I'm limited to a very very small tire and have tried goodrich drag radials, hoosiers etc. I agree don't use the e/t streets but the e/t street radial is a entirely different animal. In tests they hook as well as the m/t slicks. but hey, use what you want, I like it when someone can't hook on the street. Shocked  p.s. I tried the old hoosier design not the new ones, they might be better

I HAVE RUN THE M/T RADIAL IT DOES NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE REGULAR ET SRTEET THEY SUCK AZZ IM MY  BACK TO BACK TEST I WENT FROM A 1.59 60 FT TO A 1.77 TO 1.8ISH THE RADIALS SUCK SUCK SUCK

JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I WAS CLEAR Wink

IP Logged

streetisez

Chevy Speed

Reply #11 - 08/09/06 at 11:31:39

i dont thank it is the tire . i thank it is the suspension . and how it is set up my hoosiers hookes as hard as the m/t and i can run more air pressure . ther is nothing wrong with m/t's. i know Sammy dont like m/t's you might ask him about them.

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #12 - 08/09/06 at 11:37:31

Streetisez: what range of air pressure can you run with the hoosiers?

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #13 - 08/09/06 at 12:29:20

A442DUDE wrote on 08/09/06 at 08:44:39:
robztrux wrote on 08/08/06 at 22:43:06:

TIME FOR A FRAME NOTCH Wink

You know I actually looked into that very hard and I would only get an extra 1 inch and that amount of frame that would be left looked dangerously thin plus I was going to be alot of work to notch it and I would have to stretch the tubs as well. I figure aslong as the car it spinning I wont worry about. And definately agree with you on the m/t's et's I tried them and they really sucked.

ssmaliburob1980 or robztrux  
IP Logged

A442DUDE

Chevy Speed

Reply #14 - 08/09/06 at 13:46:35

n2o_user wrote on 08/09/06 at 11:57:13:
check you suspension like Floyd says. 1.59 60 ft isn't enough to write home about.

THAT WAS EXACTLY MY POINT IF THE RADIAL CAN'T STICK A LOW 11 SECOND CAR THERE WAS NO WAY IT WOULD STICK A LOW 10 SECOND CAR MY SUSPENSION IS STILL A STOCK STYLE WHICH DOES LEAVE ALOT TO BE DESIRED BUT ON THE M/T 3062S (STIFF SIDEWALL SLICK) AND THE MORE MOTOR I HAVE NOW IT DOES OK WITH A BEST 60 TO DATE OF 1.44 HANGIN THE DISCS Wink

NOW MAYBE ON A LIGHTER CAR THE RADIALS MAY HELP BUT MY GIRL IS ALL STEEL MINUS THE GLASS HOOD

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print