Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carb idle (Read 4860 times)
robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
carb idle
07/29/06 at 00:28:38

here's one for you guys what do you think it means if you run the idle screw all the way in and the motor barely idles?

ssmaliburob1980 or robztrux  
IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Re: carb idle
Reply #1 - 07/29/06 at 01:30:21

Check the idle bleeds to make sure they are not closed too far and if that doesn't maybe fatter jets?

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #2 - 07/29/06 at 16:09:34

I dont really want to mess with this carb its never been messed with I my opt for a bigger carb

ssmaliburob1980 or robztrux  
IP Logged

n2o_user
AltusRacing Newbies

Chevy Speed

Reply #3 - 07/29/06 at 16:29:55

1st step - check for vacuum leaks. Then possibly the following:

Big cams and low idle vacuum can make for an off-idle stumble that's often tough to cure. The problem stems from cranking the primary throttle blades open too far, which uncovers too much of the idle-transfer slot (arrow). When you lightly step on the throttle, the engine stumbles or sneezes because there's no additional fuel available to help accelerate the car, since the transition slot is already in use. The trick is to close the primary throttle blades down to where the transition slot is barely uncovered.

This step will create a too-low idle speed. One way to help that is to crack open the secondary idle stop (located on the bottom of most Holleys on the passenger side) a half-turn or so. If that doesn't help, you might try adding a PCV valve to the carb, which is also a calibrated air leak that will add a little speed. If all those tricks still don't help, you will have to resort to drilling a small hole in each primary throttle blade on the leading edge. Start with a 1/8-inch hole in each primary throttle blade and work up one size at a time. It's a slow process, but that's the best cure for the big-cam off-idle stumble.

Just a thought. Most of the new high perfomance carbs come with the holes already drilled.  Hard to troubleshoot over a forum when the kind of carb is unknown, such as the size and type. But what do I know

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print