Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lockers (Read 8839 times)
robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
lockers
04/23/07 at 15:48:36

Which is better for lockers electric, air or cable? or is it just a preference thing? Also what about the lockright I have heard mixed in puts on those. I do know that they do make a small clicking sound. I wouldn't think you would put them in some with as much HP as Dons Bronco but what about in a stock Jeep?

ssmaliburob1980 or robztrux  
IP Logged

olcoe

Chevy Speed

Re: lockers
Reply #1 - 04/23/07 at 21:26:19

Rob I had the air lockers in the jeep they worked great, they are high dollar
the blazer has a lockright in it [IN THE FRONT] it works great, posi [IN THE REAR] it works when it wants.

IP Logged

fulltop

The Glass man

out in the shop
Reply #2 - 04/25/07 at 09:28:18

thats kind of a loaded question. alot of it depends on what you are gonna do with it, what tires you run, what axles you have, so on and so on..........

I run detroits front and rear and in my opinion thats what works best for mine. Its really never on the street, I run full hydro steering and I have 1 ton axles. If I was te ever build something that was a daily driver/ mild wheeler I would probably go with a selectable locker, either air or electric. that all have their pros and cons. For the price I don't think you can beat the little lunchbox lockers. For an all out trail rig thats trailered everywhere I say detroits, spool or welded. Looking back now I would have probably welded mine or went with spools, just for the price. My sons s-10 we are building is getting spools. your jeep I'd probably put a lunchbox locker in the rear, if you don't mind lising to it, and I'd leave the front open. Or you will probably start snaping axles.

IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #3 - 04/25/07 at 15:51:52

Sounds like good advise It only has a dana 35 in the rear and a 30 in the front. I know this will probably sound dumb but knowing the history of the it I would have to say the transfer case will be the 1st thing to break on it. I said put the "lunchbox locker" in the rear I've heard that before but I have also heard to putting one in the rear would make it drive funny in on the street I guess in cornering, However it doesnt make sense to me if you look at how they are designed to work in corners it seems to me that it should be like having a noisey posi.

IP Logged

fulltop

The Glass man

out in the shop
Reply #4 - 04/25/07 at 16:14:02

yeah the 30/35 combo sure isn't know for its strength. As for it driving weird on the street, yeah it proably will. The biggest complait I've heard is the noise it makes. You can't have the best of both worlds unless you want to fork out the money for the air lockers. Kinda like trying to drive a race car on the strret. sure is fun but not to comfy.

IP Logged

Muddfrog

AltusRacing

Reply #5 - 04/25/07 at 22:10:08

Rob , I agree with nick about the lockers . If you are going to drive your truck on the street a lot I would go witha good tight posi like a detroit true track. It will still make  a big difference offroad, But on the street you'll never know it is there

IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #6 - 04/26/07 at 03:11:32

those are pretty reasonable in price. When I get ready to do it I may put a lunch box locker in the front. I would think in the front you woudn't even know it was there

IP Logged

fulltop

The Glass man

out in the shop
Reply #7 - 04/26/07 at 09:04:37

yeah in the front you can unlock the hubs and you will never know its their. or I guess your has the front disconnect. basically the same thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print