Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
When does a street car become a race car? (Read 37087 times)
Gitdowns79

Chevy Speed

Re: When does a street car become a race car?
Reply #15 - 08/15/06 at 23:02:49

Did anyone se the article in Hot Rod recently where they drove cars 1600 miles, raced at 5 different drag strips, etc.? A guy from Woodward, Ok won the thing, 8.50's pulled a trailer behind with tools tires gas etc. The car had flashlights stuck through the fiberglass front end for headlights, was completly legal to drive in the state of Okla. No safety insp here, so that part depends on where you live.

No Guts,,,,,,,,,,No Nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No Glory!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #16 - 08/15/06 at 23:16:06

I missed that one. I need to find it.

That's probably one of the reasons they are thinking about bringing back inspection stickers.  Grin

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Jims78

AltusRacing

Reply #17 - 08/15/06 at 23:30:24

Rob,
I went out to leadbetter (however you spell it) when I was back home in July....he had a 2-door HT that while salvageable, it's beyond my limited body work skill.....he did have a 66 or 67 Chevy II that someone butchered the quarters on but the rest was pretty nice....didn't feel like towing anything back on this trip

IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #18 - 08/16/06 at 00:03:39

Gitdowns79 wrote on 08/15/06 at 23:02:49:
Did anyone se the article in Hot Rod recently where they drove cars 1600 miles, raced at 5 different drag strips, etc.? A guy from Woodward, Ok won the thing, 8.50's pulled a trailer behind with tools tires gas etc. The car had flashlights stuck through the fiberglass front end for headlights, was completly legal to drive in the state of Okla. No safety insp here, so that part depends on where you live.

havent heard of that one but sounds very impressive, another one that is impressive is a guy named parish drives a blue 4x4 silverado loaded down drivin off the street, from kansas or nebraska runs high 9's last i heard

IP Logged

M@

AltusRacing

A-Town
Reply #19 - 06/26/07 at 20:42:04

I think a "street car" should be one with d.o.t. tires all lights, glass etc... also no trans brakes or air shifters. i think the only fiber glass on the car should be a a hood only cause the steel ones are like 300 more LOL. the only other thing i like is that the suspension be stock type mounted in the stock locations. my favorite classes are probably the 10.5 guys.. oh and if we are going by what alot of these guys around here think is a "fast street car" be it import or not you have to have alot of bondo and primer with little to no actual body work haha j/k marcha.

M@
ml_rone  
IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #20 - 06/26/07 at 22:26:10

poor marcha!

That thing looks a lot better than it did, hehe.

I keep changing my definition of a street car. Working lights, real glass, mostly steel, all working lights, mufflers,no aftermarket strut suspension, actually drivable. (Alternator and a decent radiator)

Of course a "Real" street car is more streetable. Dot Tires, only a glass hood, being able to at least drive it to lawton.  (Yes Monte, you need to drive yours to the track next time)  Grin

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

M@

AltusRacing

A-Town
Reply #21 - 06/27/07 at 01:39:33

i agree those guys did an awesome job with limited amount of money and time...

M@
ml_rone  
IP Logged

Hamp

AltusRacing

Altus, OK
Reply #22 - 06/27/07 at 19:08:42

Maybe we should consider putting the street cars in classes like they do at the strip. We can have pure street, hot street and pro street. That way everyone can fit into a particular bracket and nobody gets their feelings hurt when they get stomped by a car that fits into a higher catagory or they don't fit into as high a catagory they felt they should.

Hamp

Hamp hampton_cj  
IP Logged

Bowties4me

Chevy Speed

Altus
Reply #23 - 06/27/07 at 22:04:58

Wow Chris you have alot more faith in my old bucket of bolts than me!! We'd have to leave at five in the morning to beat the heat!

Monte

IP Logged

zfver

AltusRacing

Altus
Reply #24 - 06/27/07 at 22:40:30

My version of a street car:

Tagged and insured. All working lights. Doesnt need a charger after every pass to charge the battery. DOT tires. Can make long drives without overheating. Capable of running on pump gas and making full passes.   

IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #25 - 06/28/07 at 04:03:43

zfver wrote on 06/27/07 at 22:40:30:

Tagged and insured. All working lights. Doesnt need a charger after every pass to charge the battery. DOT tires. Can make long drives without overheating. Capable of running on pump gas and making full passes.    

tagged and insured ...  check ...  working lights ... kinda check...  charging system ...  check ...  DOT tires...  check...  pump gas... check (87 at that)...  Now the making long drives without overheating (you didnt say how fast you go or how long it takes to get there so....)   .... CHECK.... lol  Grin

IP Logged

84silverado

Altus, Ok.
Reply #26 - 06/28/07 at 04:07:16

M@ wrote on 06/26/07 at 20:42:04:
oh and if we are going by what alot of these guys around here think is a "fast street car" be it import or not you have to have alot of bondo and primer with little to no actual body work haha j/k marcha.

never said it was a "fast street car" i let other people be the judge of that, and why worry about how the car looks as long as it moves... but yes bondo is a must especially in the back where you need more weight haha

IP Logged

bagdeepracing
AltusRacing Newbies

the 502
Reply #27 - 06/29/07 at 21:42:14

zfver wrote on 06/27/07 at 22:40:30:

Minus the pump gas we have many cars consistantly running 5:20 - 5:30's in the 1/8 if you consider the m/t drag radials dot tires. i know mine will go mid 6's on nuts and i can drive anywhere at a constant 180 degree on the temp gauge. just sucks at $8.50 a gallon for fuel and the law always looking at the hoosiers on the back. but it is registered tagged driven and raced on the street after all it is a street car.

let$ get it      hell yes i street race !!!!!!!!!&&502underground.net&&...&&[IMG]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o218/
blown88gt shelbysblowngt@aol  
IP Logged

bagdeepracing
AltusRacing Newbies

the 502
Reply #28 - 06/29/07 at 21:44:48

Jims78 wrote on 08/15/06 at 23:30:24:
Rob,
I went out to leadbetter (however you spell it) when I was back home in July....he had a 2-door HT that while salvageable, it's beyond my limited body work skill.....he did have a 66 or 67 Chevy II that someone butchered the quarters on but the rest was pretty nice....didn't feel like towing anything back on this trip

Is the chevy 2 for sale ? If so i am in need of a parts car for mine. I need another good excuse for a visit back that way anyways.

let$ get it      hell yes i street race !!!!!!!!!&&502underground.net&&...&&[IMG]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o218/
blown88gt shelbysblowngt@aol  
IP Logged

zfver

AltusRacing

Altus
Reply #29 - 06/29/07 at 21:49:00

bagdeepracing wrote on 06/29/07 at 21:42:14:
Minus the pump gas we have many cars consistantly running 5:20 - 5:30's in the 1/8 if you consider the m/t drag radials dot tires. i know mine will go mid 6's on nuts and i can drive anywhere at a constant 180 degree on the temp gauge. just sucks at $8.50 a gallon for fuel and the law always looking at the hoosiers on the back. but it is registered tagged driven and raced on the street after all it is a street car.

Ok then if it cant run pump and still be reliable then it isnt very streetable. And yea any racing tire that has DOT on it is legal. Heck I run ET streets so I cant complain. But those are some pretty impressive times.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print